Information for Schools
For academic year September 2020 - July 2021
|Service||Charges per hour (or part thereof)
|Individual and small group instrumental teaching*
|Large group instrumental teaching (8 pupils or more)*
|Instrument hire (individual brass pupils)
||£52.00 per year
|Instrument hire (brass First Access set)||£188.50 + VAT per year (LA schools)
£222.00 inc. VAT per year (non-LA schools)
|Whole class singing/vocal ensembles
|GCSE & A Level Consultancy
||£42.00 (when available)
||£130 full day / £75 half day
Subsidy is available from Wiltshire Music Connect for pupils in receipt of remissions (see below).
Subsidy is available from Wiltshire Music Connect for all schools (see below).
- There is a discount of £2.50 per hour on all time over 8 hours per week on all services, excluding supply teaching.
- The minimum order is 30 minutes per week, which can be made up of a mixture of services. For supply teaching the minimum order is half a day.
- If your school is more than 15 miles from Trowbridge, Luke Pickett reserves the right to add an additional charge for any order less than two hours.
- Arranging (writing) music for ensembles may attract an additional charge, to be agreed as necessary.
- Should you need to change your order during the year this can be arranged, providing at least 4 calendar weeks’ notice is given.
- Subsidy is available from Wiltshire Music Connect for pupils entitled to remission. See the ‘Subsidy’ section below for further details.
- All fees are inclusive of PPA and set-up time. In the case of Curriculum Teaching the fee is also inclusive of discussions with class teachers for annual report writing in line with school requirements.
- Subsidy and instrument hire must be booked through Wiltshire Music Connect. Luke Pickett will assist with the completion of the necessary paperwork and will contact schools upon booking to arrange a meeting.
- For instrumental teaching and music theory, payment can either be made direct from parents or through the school. Please indicate on the booking form which method of payment you would like to use. For all other services schools will be invoiced directly. Invoices will be raised termly in advance, based on a three-term year. If payment has not been received by the deadline stated on the invoice, Luke Pickett reserves the right to cease delivery of the service until payment is received. Payment can be via cheque, made payable to ‘Mr Luke Pickett’, or via BACS transfer to the account listed on the invoice.
Please see the full terms and conditions regarding payment.
Instrumental brass and recorder teaching
Schools booking an Associate Provider at a rate between £28.64 - £39.25 per hour can:
- Access instruments at reduced rates for their pupils (subject to availability)
- Claim subsidy from Wiltshire Music Connect for some categories of pupil for 15 minute individual, 20 minute paired or 30 minute paired lessons:
- 100% reduction in fees for pupils who are Looked After/In Care (LAC) – this is through a partnership with Wiltshire Virtual School.
- 70% reduction for pupils eligible for Pupil Premium and/or Free School Meals.
- 70% reduction for pupils with Special Educational Needs and/or a Disability.
- 40% reduction for pupils who schools classify as vulnerable for other reasons and who are unlikely to take up (or continue) lessons as a result of economic or social circumstances. This is at the school’s discretion.
Note that there is no option for a 15 minute individual lesson on the booking form for parents. If pupils are entitled to subsidy, parents should select a 20 or 30 minute paired lesson option. If a suitable pairing cannot be found, pupils will be allocated a 15 minute individual lesson.
The amounts of remission are set in blocks and do not vary if other music teachers are charging different rates.
Further remission will be considered on a case by case basis for pupils in the above categories who really need a longer lesson.
The majority of pupils in the county (and who don’t need financial support) are therefore paying the real cost of their tuition and that cost is not vulnerable to cuts in public funding. The real cost is £37.00 per hour.
Pupils in receipt of remission will be getting their provision at a level which is set to be sustainable over a period of time.
Subsidy must be claimed in advance through Wiltshire Music Connect, in conjunction with the provider. Luke Pickett will liaise with schools to set up meetings to assist with this. Instrumental subsidy should be claimed by submitting a form, which can be found here.
Schools booking an Associate Provider (First Access) at no less than £40.80 per hour can:
- Request First Access instrument sets (brass and ocarina) from Wiltshire Music Connect at a subsidised rate (subject to availability) – see Instrument Hire.
- Claim subsidy based on the following:
- Schools with a Year 3 intake of up to 30 pupils can claim £5.34 towards 30 minutes of tuition
- Schools with a Year 3 intake of 31-60 pupils can claim £8.01. towards 60 minutes of tuition
- Schools with a Year 3 intake of 61 pupils or more can claim £10.69 towards 90 minutes of tuition
Levels of subsidy are calculated on a school’s intake in Year 3 but the provision itself does not have to be for Year 3 pupils.
The real cost to the school for a standard 30 minute session charged at £42.00 per hour therefore becomes £15.66.
Subsidy must be claimed in advance through Wiltshire Music Connect, in conjunction with the provider. Luke Pickett will liaise with schools to set up meetings to assist with this.
If schools take advantage of the ‘early bird’ offer, the subsidy can be increased by up to a further £2.50 making the costs to schools £13.16 for the first 30 minutes, provided that bookings are confirmed with Luke Pickett and Wiltshire Music Connect by 12noon on Monday 8th June 2020.
Further details and the subsidy request form can be found here.